Mar 12, 2017

My First Audio Project - Recording Guitars

Back in high school, guitar was THE most famous instrument to learn and if you just knew a few 4-chord songs it would automatically make you a hundred times cooler. I played rhythm guitar for a band called "Paranoia Chapter" which mostly played covers of songs from (you guessed it!) Paramore. During that time (circa 2008), eeeeeveryone wanted to play "Cannon Rock" and YouTube guitarists like MattRach and Sungha Jung were mainstream.

It wasn't long before I wanted to try posting guitar covers on YouTube and Facebook, so I figured I could try using my electric guitar and plug it straight into the microphone input of my desktop PC using an adapter like this one.

1/4" to 3mm adapter jack

PC Microphone input (pink)

It worked pretty well, actually. I just wanted to record a clean guitar sound into the "box" and just add a reverb effect later using my recording software (I was using an old version of Adobe Audition at that time). Some of you might already be saying "OMG! NO! BAD IDEA!" and while I do agree there is a much better way of doing it, I was just happy I able to record SOMETHING. In fact, I was euphoric! I was thrilled to discover that it was actually possible to just plug in your instrument to the computer's microphone jack and start recording! I had no clue as to what an audio interface was, or why I could hear a lot of clicks and static while tracking. I was just so excited with the fact that I could now start doing covers.

Of course now I know nothing beats using a good microphone (or two) to capture an acoustic guitar sound. And to do that you need an audio interface to plug the microphones in. But I'll talk about those later.

Here's a video of the original recording. It was in my old YouTube account (before YouTube was acquired by Google) and I wasn't able to port my videos to my Google account so this Facebook video is all I got. I used my old Carvin electric guitar, a 1/4" to 3mm cable adapter, an "el cheapo" web cam, and my Mom's PC (A.K.A. the "box"). From that moment on I officially began my ongoing journey of music production.

Ordinary Song Cover

How about you? What was your first project like? What instrument did you play? How did you feel about it and what did you learn?

I'd love to hear from you
- Peter Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment